"Use a Spoon" Chopped Salad
When Paul Newman and Michel Nischan opened their Westport, Connecticut, restaurant Dressing Room, Paul’s request was that the menu always include a chopped salad that you could eat with a spoon. This chopped salad recipe is full of great flavors, colors and textures, featuring celery, carrots, red pepper, apple, cucumber, greens, cabbage, goat cheese and almonds. This is great for any holiday meal: you can let it stand and it stays crisp.
- 1/4 cup white-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 medium stalks celery, diced (1/4-inch)
- 2 medium carrots, diced (1/4-inch)
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced (1/4-inch)
- 1 medium apple, peeled and diced (1/4-inch)
- 1/2 large cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced (1/4-inch)
- 1 cup sliced Treviso (see Tips) or radicchio
- 1 cup sliced arugula, any tough stems removed
- 1 cup thinly sliced napa, Savoy or other soft cabbage
- 1 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds (see Tips)
- Whisk vinegar, oil, honey, salt and pepper in a large salad bowl until well combined.
- Add celery, carrots and bell pepper to the vinaigrette. Let marinate for at least 10 minutes and up to 1 hour.
- Add apple, cucumber, Treviso (or radicchio), arugula and cabbage to the bowl; toss to coat. Add goat cheese and almonds and toss to combine.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2 up to 1 hour ahead.
- Tips: Treviso is a slender variety of radicchio. Look for it with specialty salad greens in well-stocked markets.
- To toast chopped, small or sliced nuts, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
NutritionPer serving: 200 calories; 16 g fat ( 5 g sat , 9 g mono ); 15 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 3 g fiber; 148 mg sodium; 273 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (73% daily value), Vitamin C (55% dv), Calcium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 high-fat meat, 2 fat